Happy Yule, Merry Christmas, Happy Hanukkah, Kwanzaa, and of course H-A-P-P-Y New Year! The holiday buzz is in full swing…holiday shopping, dinners with relatives you see once a year, parties with co-workers that you cannot stand, holiday shopping, baking dozens upon dozens of cookies, brownies and treats, running out of wrapping paper, holiday shopping, travel arrangements, donating to toys for tots, holiday shopping…
You get the idea! This time of year is nothing but stress, stress and more stress. Okay, STOP right there! You know how this ends, anxiety to the max, short fuse, depression, and resentment because you cannot get back to the book that you were half way through on Thanksgiving eve, and you may now have to wait until after the new year to see if Claire can find her way back to dreamy Jamie and rekindle their adventurous love. Well, it does not have to be that way.
Love has got to start with you!
- Set boundaries…and stick to them. Being over-tired and drained is a high cause of depression.
- Do not forget to reward yourself. You are buying and creating gifts for the ones you love, make sure that you do not forget the greatest love of your life too…which in case you didn’t know it, should be YOU! If you have to stay up later than usually wrapping last minutes gifts, reward yourself with a relaxing cup of chamomile or fairy tale tea, have some lavender essential oil in the diffuser burning.
- As you are baking those delightful peppermint chocolate cookies, have a plate of celery and carrots to grab for. When we are overloaded with stress and anxiety, it is natural to think we need sugary items, this is a mechanism to replace what we need, which is energy, sleep, relaxation, not sugar.
- Give yourself a gift. Is there something that you got for someone else and thought, “I wish someone would give me this for the holiday?” That someone, my dear, is YOU! Buy two! you can even have the sales lady wrap it up for you as there is something said about unwrapping a gift. This is also a wonderful time to pamper yourself….foot soak and manicure for all the standing in lines…a tarot reading for insight for the new year…treat yourself to a sit-down dinner out, not that fast food crap that makes you regret eating it 15 minutes later, but something that lift your spirits… an organic salad, sushi….you understand what we are going for here…something healthy and satisfying.
- When you get home from all that running around, kick those shoes off and it’s time for a shower or better yet soak, you want to get the yucky other people’s rage, impatience and other energetic crap off of you. Add some rose petals to the water and wah-lah, you will be feeling better in no time.
Most of important, give yourself some down time to relax and get to honor this love to call your own…the love of you! Everything else can and will wait, for to love others, you must first love yourself, to continue to be able to do for others, you must first do for yourself.
…and remember that everything comes to an end, and this holiday season is almost to that end.
Priestess Alura Rose has spent over 35 years in the study of divination and witchcraft, Now she steps forward and intertwines her passion for fairy tales with her experience in the craft . She has become a gifted tarot reader with phenomenal intuition. To have a seat across from Alura, is to open the book on your own tale and see what magick lies in store for you to discover.